For years I have wanted a laundry room on the same floor as the bedrooms. This house finally gave me that opportunity. As originally purchased there were spots on both floors that had the appropriate plumbing to be laundry rooms. One of those locations will be a mudroom in the future. The other one was in what is now the bathroom in The Suite.
Since all of us wanted J &D’s space to truly be able to be like their own apartment, we had to make a new location for the laundry room. In my post, Laundry Room/O’s Bedroom, I talked about how we created the location for the laundry room. As I explained in that post, we had to tie into the plumbing from the bathroom next door to do this. Luckily, among all the other things G is trained in, he has been a plumber. For what I assume are obvious reasons to most of you, that has been his least favorite profession, but it comes in very handing for home renovations.
We actually moved this washer and dryer with us. It might seem a little crazy to move such heavy, bulky items over 1300 miles, but since the only appliance that came with the house was the dishwasher we were glad we did. The reason we moved them is because when we purchased them 2 years ago, we considered them investment pieces. They are Speed Queens, which are made to last 25 years and are backed up by the industry’s best warranty. They are also made in America which we liked. they are fairly basic machines, but after having to replace the motherboard on our last washer once and having it start failing again, we were okay with less features. They are made with commercial made materials, which means they are more expensive initially, but should hold up better in the long run.
Since the laundry room is 8’x10′ and has a window in it, it seemed like a great location to set up my sewing stuff. It will probably stay that way since it also makes it easier for me wash or dye my fabric before using it. Having the sewing stuff in the same room as my ironing supplies is also very helpful. The current setup with the shelving for my fabric is not ideal though. It means that I don’t have a good surface to cut things on, so that ends up being done in a different location. That should change in the future though.
Future plans involve cabinets and a folding/cutting/ironing surface where the shelves are now and also possibly going over to the window. There will also be shelves or cabinets over the washer & dryer. Those things will probably happen over winter after most of the renovating and the radiant floors on the lower level are finished. That will decide for sure whether the sewing stuff stays in there or moves to the office downstairs.
Some ideas of what we might do. Hopefully, I’ll be able to post the process of construction, installation, and finished room before we make it to 2018.